2 sleeps until Spring, and I’m gradually waking from this winter hibernation.. what better way to celebrate but with more cake?
In the wise words of my husband who had just finished a shift, “cake is definitely better than being at work”… I concur, and I’m going to take that as somewhat of a complement.
This recipe is inspired by a number of different ones from the internet (too many to link to here), with several substituted ingredients. The refined sugar is replaced with raw honey, I used spelt flour because that’s what was in the cupboard (but I’m sure wholewheat or regular plain flour would be just as good), then I topped it with toasted almonds and icing sugar to give it a little more texture.
This has a consistency almost like an apple pie and a slight custardy flavour, hence the name. Best served with a slather of cream.
Apple Pie Cake
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced finely with a mandoline
- Flaked almonds and icing sugar, to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees c (fan forced)
- Butter a 20cm round cake tin
- Bowl 1 – combine the flour, baking powder and salt
- Bowl 2 – Add the coconut oil and raw honey – zap this in the microwave for 20 seconds or slowly warm it by immersing the bowl in hot water. You want this to be warm so it’s easily combined – but not too warm (you don’t want to cook the eggs!)
- Add the vanilla, eggs and milk to bowl 2 and beat well, until frothy.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and fold together with a spatula until just combined.
- Add the sliced apples and stir through until they are covered with the batter.
- Spoon mix into the cake tin and bake for approx 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted to the middle comes out clean.
- Let this cool in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- While this is cooling, toast the flaked almonds in a dry pan until fragrant and golden.
- When everything is cooled completely, top cake with almonds and a light dusting of icing sugar.
- Serve with cream, it would also be great with a little custard.