It’s getting colder here in Melbourne, winter’s arriving and the soup recipes are coming out!
Bring on more zucchini noodle magic I say: This chicken, egg and zoodle soup is another recent creation that gives you loads of bang-for-buck – for only 185 calories per serve, you get two big bowls of deliciousness.
The chicken stock is key here, and I have tried the recipe with both homemade stock and store-bought (albeit the best I could find at our local organic store) – homemade wins of course, but the store-bought stock still made for a great midweek meal.
So here goes –
Chicken, Egg and Zoodle Soup, makes 2 generous bowls (approx. 185 cal per serve)
- 750ml chicken stock
- 125g skinless chicken breast
- 3 small-medium sized zucchini (or 2 large)
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 brown or white onion, finely sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Using a Julienne peeler, mandoline or spiralizer, slice the zucchini into long “noodles”
- Place into a strainer over a bowl or sink, and salt heavily. Leave for 15-20 mins – this will sweat the noodles which allows them to keep their shape and texture once cooked.
- Heat the stock and soy sauce in a pot and bring just boiling point
- Add the chicken breast in one piece (no need to slice), turn the heat down as low as possible and poach gently, covered, for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. You can check this by prying it apart with 2 forks, it should come apart easily when done.
- Remove the chicken breast from the stock, shred with a fork and set aside.
- Rinse zoodles well in cold water to remove the salt.
- Drain and add to stock, along with the sliced onions.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and cook the zoodles for about 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Remove zoodles with a slotted spoon, and place into 2 bowls.
- Top the zoodles with the shredded chicken, chilli and chives.
- Crack the egg into the pot of stock and stir quickly with a fork until the egg is cooked.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls over the zoodles & chicken.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and it’s ready to serve – super easy!